Come one, come all, and revel as I navigate the ups and downs of the mundanities of my life. Thus far, my stomach-churning has been kept to a minimum, but I can't speak for my readers. You'll be riveted as you're kept on the edge of your seat, wondering, "Will the next post be the one that makes me lose my lunch??" Excitement, she wrote!

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Multiverse

This journal entry dated
fourteen years back
doesn't sound like me,
but I remember writing it.
The sloppy half-script arises
from wavering dedication
to the subject;
my sarcasm was so blunt.

Dog-eared by pretty,
the journal with a red floral border
and a white decanter on each cover
is a coffin of sorts.
Once, 11-17-97 was
the javelin tip of
my blood, flesh, and breath.
Today, it's but a scale among scales,
a measure among measures,
curled up as tightly as its brethren
nestling in perpetuity.

I can't quite put my finger on
this relation to a past self -
the present is so seamless,
while history's iterations
unfold like paper dolls
linked side-by-side.
The devil on my shoulder wants
to ask do we know her?
Sure, we shared some memories
but - that's not who
we are anymore. After all,
Descartes
wasn't
because he thought.

But the angel pipes up
he was no amnesiac either.

I think
I must be an illusion.
Truth is, I don't know
if pulling on the thread
will just unravel this
whole damn pattern.

No comments: