Come one, come all, and revel as I navigate the ups and downs of the mundanities of my life. Thus far, my stomach-churning has been kept to a minimum, but I can't speak for my readers. You'll be riveted as you're kept on the edge of your seat, wondering, "Will the next post be the one that makes me lose my lunch??" Excitement, she wrote!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

It's cool, man! I'm a detective!

Slawek thinks that in the future, there should be a new TV dramedy based on me called "Asian Female Detective." The premise of the show is that by hiring an Asian female (yours truly) to be a detective, the police force succeeds in filling their quota for minorities and women. Unfortunately, said Asian female detective is hilariously underqualified for the job, and fucks up every investigation she embarks on. Her tagline, or response to every fuck up - unabashedly stolen from ATHF - is, "It's cool, man! I'm a detective!" Actresses currently lined up to portray Asian Female Detective are...no one. 'Cause seriously, who's gonna be cool enough to play AFD?

Yeah, I know, I should stop there.

Anyway, to get back to reality, I am playing my own version of Asian Female Detective for the summer as a defense investigator for Georgetown Law's Criminal Justice Clinic. After years of watching cop/investigator/lawyer shows, this is finally a culmination of all of those eclectic TV characters come to life. I'll have the slow-witted guise of Matlock, the alcoholic benders of Sipowicz, the out-there, crack-pot theories of Mulder, and to top it off, the freewheelin' badass-ness of Kojak*. That's right - none of the other interns will want to work with me, and my own defense lawyers will probably turn me in to the cops my first week on the job.


"Your crack genie can't help you now, Kenny!" No, but he can get hooked up with a fine Georgetown defense lawyer.

Seriously though, I think this is going to be the most kickass (unpaid) job ever. For those who aren't in the know, defense investigators basically do the same thing that Detectives Briscoe and Greene did on Law and Order every week, except on behalf of the defendant and not for the government. We gotta get our asses to the DC ghettos (okay, it's not always the ghetto, but our clients are largely indigent) and just do some basic detective work - canvassing crime scene areas, questioning witnesses and taking their statements, serving subpoenas, testifying on the stand, and the like. There are 7 other interns (4 boys and 4 girls - all together now: AWWWWWW!!!!!!) and we are partnered up and paired up with one or two attorneys in the Georgetown Prettyman Fellowship. And the rest of the summer we just help our lawyers investigate cases and try to keep our clients out of jail.

My investigative partner is Sachin. I'm glad that my supervisor kept the Hopkins' flava alive by pairing me up with an Indian kid. It'll be Team Asia in the 'hood, like Law & Order meets Harold (Harriet?) and Kumar. Sachin is great with directions and has kept us sane (and well-directed) in the labyrinth of winding streets that is L'Enfant's design of D.C. He might take a bullet for me someday. I am lucky to have him.

The lawyer that Sachin and I are working for is Anya McMurray, who is great. She is really passionate and enthusiastic about defending her clients, and I'm really siked to be working with her for the rest of the summer. The great thing about the office is that everyone is super-laid-back, and are fine with everything as long as you're on top of your work. (It's great to have a job where you can wear a t-shirt, jeans, and flip-flops.) And they recognize that it's supposed to be an educational environment, so nobody gets yelled at or guilt-tripped for mistakes. For example, Anya actually gives a shit that Sachin and I have a life outside of the internship (I don't tell her that mine consists of Minesweeper and writing in this blog), and makes sure that we get days off and don't have to stay too late.

And the last great thing so far is that I have finally made real girl friends with somebody! W00t! One of the other interns, Casey, and I have bonded and I'm looking forward to having an actual girl to hang out with for the summer**. She is not fake or pretentious in the least, and doesn't seem to be weirded out by me so far, which are all very promising signs. Also, we spend the few minutes we see each other everyday making jokes and giggling - really middle school, immature giggling. I know this is hard to believe, but I just can't get that with my guy friends. (Although some come disturbingly close...)

So aside from the blisteringly hot and muggy days, the forecast for the summer is good. I'm going to be all over D.C., so I'll try to take some photos of the places I go, regardless of whether they're scenic or depressing. And if you're ever in need of a great story, hit me up, because I'm sure this job will supply me with a plethora*** of things to write about.


*To be fair, I have never watched Kojak, but I hear he is prolific on the Daily Jolt.
**Again, to be fair: Julia Melograna, I have not forgotten you. No one will replace my StarTrek/Goldeneye/breaking-into-her-own-house-cuz-she-doesn't-know-how-to-use-her-house-key sister.
***Did you know this word also means:
"a bodily condition characterized by an excess of blood and marked by turgescence and a florid complexion"? Gross!

* * * * * * *

A friend of mine (a real adult, actually) sent me the link to this website, and I just fell in love with it. It reminds me of something I used to like...

Because the truth is, we all have secrets that nobody knows. Sometimes we don't realize it, because they're so personal and part of our everyday lives that we don't really even consider them secrets. They're just things that make up a part of us as individuals, and we don't really feel the need to share them with anybody. I think it's nice to have secrets like that.

No comments: