Come one, come all, and revel as I navigate the ups and downs of the mundanities of my life. Thus far, my stomach-churning has been kept to a minimum, but I can't speak for my readers. You'll be riveted as you're kept on the edge of your seat, wondering, "Will the next post be the one that makes me lose my lunch??" Excitement, she wrote!

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Another Democratic Defeat

To follow up our first guest entry, all I have to say is: for a 47-year-old religious nut, Rick Santorum sure knows how to play ball.

That's right - yesterday was the 44th annual congressional baseball game at RFK Stadium, something I did not even know existed (I'm a terrible Washingtonienne) until my Republican liaison and fellow Hopkonian Joe Lin offered me a free ticket. Despite having to sit with Joe's slew of conservative interns from the American Enterprise Institute (just kidding, Joe...or am I?), and despite the GOP landslide (19-10, ouch) it was a great time enjoyed by all.


A staged photo-op between conservative and liberal. See how strained our smiles are?

The Republican win was hardly unprecedented, as they have won eight times in the past decade. And that outcome was foreshadowed yet again this game very early on, when by the end of the first inning the Reps already had five runs. But that didn't stop me from cheering my little bleeding heart out everytime the Dems got a hit...or more likely, when they got a walk. (So we're horrible ball players, but John Ensign of Nevada is an even worse pitcher.) Since I was really the only lefty in our section, it was pretty hard to miss my obnoxious cheering and clapping and jumping up and down every time the Democrats got a hit, or caught a fly ball, or you know, managed to find first base without falling over or having their hands held.


Yikes! And it's only the 3rd inning.

By far the best-known player was Santorum. I really had no idea who the other congressmen were. (Remember, people: I'm a psychology major! I have an excuse for being under-informed!) He actually turned and waved at our AEI section because all the interns were yelling his name and basically getting giant erections every time he turned around. To give him his due credit, he did hit a couple of doubles...


Senator Rick Santorum's butt gets some face-time. I'm sure he finds this photo morally reprehensible.

I do have to make it a point to say that RFK is no Oriole Park. Not by a long stretch. But all in all, still a very fun and Washington-esque night. Nex year, let's try a little harder, no?

No comments: