Come one, come all, and revel as I navigate the ups and downs of the mundanities of my life. Thus far, my stomach-churning has been kept to a minimum, but I can't speak for my readers. You'll be riveted as you're kept on the edge of your seat, wondering, "Will the next post be the one that makes me lose my lunch??" Excitement, she wrote!

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Saturday in D.C.

To: archives@corcoran.org
Subject: Painting Identification?
Message:
Hello-
I'm not sure if this is the correct email address to send my inquiry, but this weekend while at the Corcoran, I saw a painting hanging on the wall of the main museum stairwell, of a bear about to stone a sleeping woman. I can't remember the artist or name of this superb masterpiece. Hopefully somebody can help me with that.
Thank you,
Amy Chen


Update:
"Mother Mother I am Ill"
Ida Applebroog

Chris and I went down to D.C. on Saturday and we hit up the Corcoran, where there was a pretty cool Andy Warhol exhibit that dealt with his central themes of celebrity iconography, death and pain, power, and of course, Mao. Also on exhibit were the draped canvas paintings of Ron Gilliam. His contemporaries are Color Fieldists like Morris Louis and Helen Frankenthaler, but I think his art combines elements of Abstract Expressionism and Minimalism as well. Some of his paintings are reminiscent of artists like Jackson Pollock and, oddly enough, Roy Lichtenstein.



Also graced with our presence was Idle Time Books, a used bookstore in Adams Morgan. I picked up a book on Art Nouveau, "Problems" by John Updike, and a really old edition of "Godel, Escher, Bach." If you believe what Chris says, my interests are incredibly predictable. Well, you know what else is predictable, Chris? You...sitting in a bookstore...reading....

Yeah, take that.



And last but not least, we had dinner at a sushi/Thai restaurant where the decor consisted of this sculpture, located right by Chris' head:



If we didn't know we were in Dupont Circle before, we certainly knew then.
All in all, a good day.

No comments: